THIS RANT 10/03/97
Rant Of The Day is where I get to mouth off about whatever I feel like for however long I like. Theoretically, I'll update my whinge/opinion piece every weekday; in practice, maybe not so often.
Token travel tips
I don't want to see the inside of Sydney Airport for quite a while, thank you very much. In the past week, I've made one-day visits to both Adelaide and Melbourne. As a result, I've spent nearly as much time on planes or in airports as I have in my own bed or visiting the exciting attractions of these dazzling metropolises. In order that you may benefit from these experiences, I now pass on the following random travel tips:
- Treat omelettes with caution. They may be concealing unusual vegetables.
- If you travel on a plane four times in one week, it is inevitable that you will spill vacuum-sealed orange juice on yourself on at least one occasion.
- There's a surprising amount of performance variation in those standard safety announcements on planes. One woman demonstrated tightening her seatbelt with such ferocity that the resulting loop would have only fitted around Kate Moss.
- Early morning flights to Adelaide are rarely full. Book early.
- Contrary to expectations, the 5:27am Sydney Airport Express is busier than at almost any other time.
- The Grand Prix is loud and noisy and distracting but ultimately not that amusing to watch, even with the benefit of high-end corporate seats and unlimited free beer and food (see the gloating picture of my pass, above). I sympathise entirely with the local residents opposed to it.
- Getting up at 4am is not good for the soul.
[Gusworld administrative note: as a result of changing work circumstances, the Monday update will now appear around midday, rather than around 9am Australian EST as previously. Thank you for your support.]
Click here to contact Gus
Go back up a level
Return to Gusworld Central