THIS RANT 28/10/96
Rant Of The Day is where I get to mouth off about whatever I feel like for however long I like. Theoretically, I'll update my whinge/opinion piece every weekday; in practice, maybe not so often.
Might as well fact it, you're addicted to drugs
I don't know about you, but I reckon that Aaron Spelling must know a lot of people who are addicted to drugs. I say this based on one solitary but ultra-important piece of evidence: the number of drug-sozzled characters who have featured on Beverly Hills 90210. In the storyline screening in Australia at the moment, we're getting all the gory details on Kelly and Colin's struggles with cocaine addiction. They, though, are simply jumping in line with a long line of other characters with substance abuse issues:
- Dylan's endless guzzling of alcohol, cigarettes, heroin and anything else he could lay his hands on
- Brandon's 'drinking problem'
- Kelly's mother's 15-year high
- David's crack addiction problem when his music career failed to take off
- Valerie's fondness for 'funny' cigarettes
- The alcholics that make up Steve's frat house
- Andrea's secret LSD habit (alright, I made that one up)
They've all gone to college, but it seems nothing has changed. Now, 90210 has never claimed to be a beacon of realism, but you'd think they could try harder. Sure, I spent a lot of time at uni out of my head, but lots of other things happened too. When are we going to see a storyline based on one of the following typical tertiary student events?
- Going to the university library to find a book for an assignment, only to discover all the copies are out
- Seeing a really crap band at the university bistro because the beer is cheap
- Burying a dishwasher in the backyard
- Struggling to survive on an ever-shrinking AUSTUDY allowance
- Failing to find any suitable accommodation at all
- Choosing a course based purely on its alleged lack of required assignments
Breath-holders, start your lungs.
(Incidentally, if you were wondering about the graphic, it's either some vague reference to junk TV or an attempt to prove that Spelling isn't the only one who can be disconnected and irrelevant.)
Click here to contact Gus
Go back up a level
Return to Gusworld Central