THIS RANT 27/08/96
Rant Of The Day is where I get to mouth off about whatever I feel like for however long I like. Theoretically, I'll update my whinge/opinion piece every weekday; in practice, maybe not so often.
Cheap drunks and drunk cheap
Happy hour is one of the great concepts of our time. The happy hour at the Lizard Lounge bar in Sydney (upstairs at the Exchange Hotel) is particularly appealing. Between 5pm and 8pm every single night, there's two-for-the-price-of-one drinks on offer. Gusworld attended the venue last Friday for a modest birthday celebration for Spanky The Naughty Little Monkey, and was a little disappointed to discover that the deal doesn't extend to cocktails (which are simply discounted by $2.50). Despite that, though, the continually circulating plates of free food were more-than-ample compensation.
Nonetheless, the pricing of the drinks at the Lizard Lounge ($5.70 for a bottle of XLR8) is such that you probably wouldn't go there outside of the happy hour. Certainly, the regular patrons appear to think this way; you can't move at 7:30pm but by 8:30pm the place was virtually deserted. For no particular reason, Gusworld now presents its handy tips on how to get drunk cheaply:
- Don't overmix your drinks. This will inevitably lead to vomiting, which is a poor use of alcohol on a volume basis. This applies particularly to milk and beer.
- Pace yourself. A visit to the bar every ten minutes is normally more than enough.
- As the night progresses, your standards will become lower. Start in an expensive venue and work your way down to the Wentworthville Leagues Club.
- Only accept free drinks from strangers if you have the moral fortitude to tell the buyer to get nicked at a later stage.
- Cocktails are expensive and come in funny colours. Stick to beer.
- Above all, no matter how tempted you are, don't even think about buying Spumante.
Click here to contact Gus
Go back up a level
Return to Gusworld Central