THIS RANT 06/08/96
Rant Of The Day is where I get to mouth off about whatever I feel like for however long I like. Theoretically, I'll update my whinge/opinion piece every weekday; in practice, maybe not so often.
Concept association games
Everyone knows that the dumbest distance between two concepts is the idiotic mind of Gusworld's creator, right? Not convinced? Then watch as I move from ducks to a calculator in just six easy steps.
- While Donald and Daffy might want to stake a claim, a contender for the most famous duck in the universe is the rubber duckie owned by Ernie in Sesame Street.
- As we all know, Ernie's flatmate was Bert. (Contrary to popular rumour, there is no evidence to suggest that these two Muppets were anything other than just good friends.) One of Bert's main hobbies was collecting paperclips.
- Paperclips are made from wire. So are coathangers.
- In Whoopi Goldberg's original off-Broadway show, one of the more harrowing monologues involved a young teenage surfer giving herself an abortion with a coathanger in a beachside toilet.
- Whoopi also appeared, of course, in an Oscar-winning capacity in the movie Ghost, as repeated recently by Channel Nine in a futile attempt to make people watch something that wasn't the Olympics. As part of this role, I seem to recall, she typed at a computer.
While computers have achieved a high penetration (oo er) into many facets of our lives, for sheer volume they can't match the convenience of the humble pocket calculator. Funnily enough, this is exactly the point we were hoping to arrive at.
Easy, hey? Later, for an encore, we may get from Ray Martin to talent, but don't hold your breath.
Click here to contact Gus
Go back up a level
Return to Gusworld Central