THIS RANT 12/06/96
Rant Of The Day is where I get to mouth off about whatever I feel like for however long I like. Theoretically, I'll update my whinge/opinion piece every weekday; in practice, maybe not so often.
You can stop the music
You can get some real crap on video. Wandering through my local HMV the other day, I observed Sylvester Stallone box sets, old episodes of Love Thy Neighbour and far too many items featuring Celine Dion and Michael Bolton (basically, more than zero is a bad idea). Why, then, in this climate where mediocrity appears to be no barrier, are there so many classic features that are unavailable?
Doing an exhaustive list of everything I'd like to buy on video but can't would take forever, so let me content myself with highlighting a few key omissions:
Wake up Australia. Your VCRs need you.
- Can't Stop The Music: As a Gusworld reader pointed out to me, this film has it all: the Village People, gratuitous nudity, a script written by a teenager and the proud status of having flopped everywhere in the world except Australia. I can buy the soundtrack; why can't I buy the film?
- ABBA: The Movie: It was filmed in Australia; every ABBA video released in the past five years has sold bucketloads; it features a Vegemite sandwich. What more could we want?
- Are You Being Served? The Movie: Well, they show the series, don't they?
- Torrid Nudes Of Grope City: Mmmm, perhaps not.
- Mantrap: the film that plumetted ABC from stardom.
Click here to contact Gus
Go back up a level
Return to Gusworld Central